Victoria’s History Week is not far away, so for those in Melbourne and regional areas of Victoria, this is the week to truly get out and discover the history that lies in your state.
Across Victoria historical societies, heritage groups, individuals, tourist attractions, local councils, schools, historic houses and libraries all embraced History Week are offering fabulous events, all of which add to the understanding and love of Victoria’s history.
Co-ordinated by the Royal Historical Soctiery of Victoria which was formed over 100 years ago and is a community organisation committed to collecting, researching and sharing an understanding of the history of Victoria, History Week runs from Sunday 13 October, through until Sunday 20 October, and there are literally 100s of events on around the state.
This History Week you can…
– experience a gold mine in Bendigo
– attend a Fair put on by the Australian Cartophilic Society (trading cards)
– go on a heritage walk to discover the department stores on Chapel Street
– tour Marvel Stadium
– go on any number of cemetery tours
– hear the story of the voyage and wreck of the ‘Fiji’ and see a collection of items that have been recovered from the wreck
– attend a book launch, or two, or three
– learn all about Isaac Selby: Lecturer, Historian, Assassin!
– come along to an afternoon tea and panel discussion at Histort Clinic Live which is all about digital initiatives for historical societies in Victoria
– visit the exhibition of the Invention of Melbourne
– enjoy a collection of vintage audio visual material, old newsreels, films, documentaries and photos
– take this opportunity to learn more about your local area through numerous talks, open days, and displays
And much so, so much more!
For the full listing of events, be sure to check their calendar. This allows you to browse, as well as filter by days or by region to help you locate what’s on when and where. https://historyweek.org.au/events/
And if you have any queries, you can get in touch with the RHSV at:
History Week 2019
c/o Royal Historical Society of Victoria
239 A’Beckett Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
T: (03) 9326 9288