There are many benefits from joining a genealogical society.
– You get to meet and interact with others who understand your passion/obsession
– You can get help from society staff, volunteers or other members when trying to knock down your brickwall
– You have the opportunity to hear talks from numerous people throughout the year
– You often get member only benefits, such as online records, newsletters, journals etc.
– Not to mention if you visit the society premises you can use their facilities (records, computers, book collection, indexes etc)
But not everyone can make it to a society as there’s none in their region, or they physically can’t get there. So let me introduce you to a brand new society. A new type of genealogy society. One that is open to everyone around the world … The Virtual Genealogical Society.
Here is their Press Release …
ANNOUNCING THE VIRTUAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
The Virtual Genealogical Society is a global organization serving family history enthusiasts of all levels,
geared towards those:
– whose circumstances make it difficult to attend local genealogical society meetings
– who prefer online presentations, special interest groups (SIGs), conferences, and socializing
– with an interest in connecting, networking, and mentoring with global genealogists
The Virtual Genealogical Society began with the recognition that many family history enthusiasts are
merging technology and globalization in their genealogical pursuits. We aim to provide a forum for
genealogists to connect, network, and mentor with genealogists around the world through monthly
meetings online, webinars, social networking, annual conferences, and in-person meet-ups at
conferences, institutes and events around the world.
Membership is just US$20 per year and provides:
– 24/7 access to Members-Only section of website
– Recorded monthly webinars by nationally-known speakers
– Webinar handouts
– Live chat with featured speakers in members-only Facebook group
– Fillable PDF forms for family history research
– Digitized monthly newsletter
– Eligibility for prizes offered during monthly webinars
– Access to Special Interest Group (SIG) discussions and handout
– Discount on annual virtual conference registration cost
– Eligibility for prizes during annual virtual conference
– Discounts on genealogy software, databases, publications and products
– Members-only Facebook group for networking, mentoring, and socializing
The Virtual Genealogical Society encourages all members to continue joining the genealogical societies in their local area and/or in the area where their ancestors lived. These societies can provide additional
benefits that include:
– Access to their local database of records and indexes
– Mentorship from society members with expertise in local records and repositories
– Field trips to area repositories
The Virtual Genealogical Society will be hosting a three-day virtual conference from November 1-3, 2019. Confirmed presenters are listed on our website.