Ol’ Myrt from the DearMYRTLE blog is one of my fav geneabloggers, and when I read on her blog recently that she and her daughter Carrie from Not Your Mother’s Genealogy blog, are running the 2012 “Share a Memory” Contest, and I wanted to share it with you just in case you’d missed it.
The “Share a Memory” contest is running from now through until 30 September 2012, with winners to be announced on 5 October 2012 during Family History Month in the USA. But thanks to the internet, you don’t have to live in the USA to “Share a Memory”, so everyone, anywhere can join in.
We all have memories, so it’s just a matter of thinking of something that you would like to share. It could be a child’s memory, an ancestor’s story, a reunion memory, a recipe story, a back to school memory, a family holiday story, a do-it-yourself project story, a favorite thing memory, a cousin story, a birthday memory…
Any story to preserve the memory for your family members can be submitted to this contest.
The video below gives several ideas to get you started:
but you could also do something like:
- Remind a 5 year old how proud you are he can ride his bike without the training wheels by sharing the video clip on YouTube for the world to see.
- Blog about how you made that family photo quilt or other crafty family related project.
- Use Instagram to begin sharing ancestor photos with your siblings and cousins, whilst preserving family history
- Share a joke or two your Dad always used to tell.
- Create a short video clip about that old family heirloom.
ALL PROJECTS are designed to “Share a Memory” with other members of your family. I have to agree with O’l Myrt when she says that ‘even if they don’t like traditional family history work, they’ll get a kick out of your work on this project!’ It really is true, and it is q way to get other family members actually interested in their history… so share your memories.
- Create your “Share a Memory” project using any sort of technology to preserve the story.
- Send the info with a link to your project, via Carrie’s Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NotYourMothersGenealogy If it is an Instagram, or Twitter be sure to include:
@NYMGenealogy (for Not Your Mother’s Genealogy!)
Or simply copy/paste the following text to make it easy: @DearMYRTLE @NYMGenealogy #shareamemory Here’s the link to my contest
- Your entry post on Facebook must explain why you’ve chosen to share this particular memory, and how the rest of the family reacted to your “share”.
- Limit one project per “share”.
- More than one project “share” may be submitted.
- By entering the contest, you agree to allow us to “share” your “share” in our blogs and on our Facebook pages.
PRIZES: The Prizes will be announced on 5 October 2012. The winners must submit a valid US mailing address to receive the grand prize, unless Amazon.com delivers to your address in other parts of the world. The prizes include:
GRAND PRIZE Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera – Aqua (2nd Generation) – Eastman Kodak Company. You’ll note t has a built-in “SHARE” button to instantly share the video you capture with family and friends.
2nd PRIZE – $50 Amazon.com Gift Certificate
3rd PRIZE – $25 Amazon.com Gift Certificate
Happy memory sharing!