The big genealogy news to hit the genealogy grapevine that is the social blogisphere, is that RootsMagic have just released an app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch – so RootsMagic users, you can now take your data with you!!
Below is the announcement from RootsMagic:
Your Family Tree at Your Finger Tips
Now you can easily take and show off your family history with you wherever you go. RootsMagic lets you carry your genealogy on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch! It’s fast, easy, and free!
We’re very excited to bring RootsMagic right to your iPhone and iPad. Not only is this one of the most-requested features from our users, but it is the perfect next step in our mission to simplify family history. The app provides many useful features including:
* Access your actual RootsMagic files via iTunes or Dropbox – RootsMagic for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch uses your actual RootsMagic files- no conversion needed. You can copy as many files as you want right on your device via iTunes or Dropbox. Users of other genealogy software such as PAF, Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, and others can convert their files into viewable RootsMagic files using our free desktop software.
* Easily search and explore your family tree – Familiar Pedigree, Family, Descendant, and Individual Views help you quickly explore your family tree. You can also search for specific people by name or record number.
* View pictures, notes, and sources – All of your RootsMagic data is available inside the app. Touch any name to see more information about that person as well as family members. All of a person’s information is there including notes, sources, and pictures.
* Lists – Browse lists of your information and view more information about sources, to-do items, research logs, media, addresses, repositories, correspondences, and places.
* Tools and Calculators – useful tools to assist you in your research including a perpetual calendar, date calculator, relationship calculator, and soundex calculator.
– The RootsMagic App uses your actual RootsMagic files- no conversion needed
– It easily put your family history files on your device through iTunes or DropBox
– You can keep as many files as you want right on your device
– You can use the free desktop software (RootsMagic Essentials) to convert other genealogy files including PAF, Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, and GEDCOM into viewable RootsMagic files.
Views you can choose using the RootsMagic App
– Pedigree, Family, Descendant, and Individual Views to quickly explore your family tree
– Browse people by surname and given names
– Search ancestors by name or record number
– View media, notes, and sources for people, families, events, and facts
Lists available using the RootsMagic App
– Source list
– To-do lists
– Research Logs
– Media Lists
– Address Book
– Repository List
– Correspondence List
– Place List
Tools included in the RootsMagic App
– Perpetual calendar
– Date calculator
– Relationship calculator
– Soundex calculator
Watch a Live Demonstration
Don’t miss a chance to see a live demonstration of the app and how easy it is to copy your data to your device! RootsMagic have scheduled a special online webinar for Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 4:00PM MST. To register, click here. Be sure to arrive early as only the first 1000 attendees will be able to participate!
[NOTE: for Australians who are interested in viewing the Webinar, the US time of 4:00pm MST, Tues 18th December, equates to 10:00am EST, Wed 19th December here in Oz, so actually no too badly timed. Just a tip you can always check timezone conversions by using World Time Server, or similar sites.]
Available from: the iTunes store, download now
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5. And it does require the RootsMagic desktop family tree software or the free RootsMagic Essentials software to create, edit, or add to your genealogy files.
Coming soon: an Android version is on it way.
More Information: visit the RootsMagic website, and the iTunes page